I don’t know about you guys, but getting in my leafy greens has almost always been a struggle for me! I’ve never been the best at making smoothies taste good, and I’ve never been the biggest fan of salads!
However, I KNOW that I need to eat my greens (and so do you)! They are packed full of tons of vitamins to help your body function well! I know people say that so often – “eat your greens”! But actually you guys.. here are just a few benefits!
- They are PACKED full of vitamins!!
- Beta Carotine
- when converted into vitamin A, helps maintain the health of the bodies tissues that line the bladder, kidneys and genital organs.
- As well, our immune and repoductive systems are dependent on vitamin A in order to function properly!
- Vitamin E
- important antioxidant that protects cell membranes, red blood cells vitamin A and the cells lining the lungs from oxidative damage.
- immune system is also dependent upon it as well as the nerves & muscles
- Vitamin K
- maintain healthy blood clotting
- support bone structure
- Vitamin B2
- involved in breakdown of fats, proteins, and carbs
- promotes healthy vision – protecting against cataracts, dry eyes, and eye fatigue.
- skin, nails, and hair all require it for health & vitality
- Vitamin B6
- required for formation of red blood cells and metabolism of amino acids & glucose
- nervous system health
- Folic acid
- needed for DNA synthesis, cell differentiation, and amino acid metabolism
- important during pregnancy for normal fetal development
- Vitamin C
- protects against free radical damage to tissues
- essential component of bones, teeth, tendons, skin, and blood vessels
2. Packed full of minerals!
- Important for muscle contraction, blood clotting and acid-alkaline balance
- important for muscle contraction, energy production, protein formation and cellular replication
- important for transporting oxygen in red blood cells
- essential for metabolism of carbs, fats, and proteins
- an antioxidant
- helps other enzymes detoxify alcohol, metabolize sulphur, and release iron from the liver
SO essentially, all these good things are involved in protection against disease, improving vision & boosting immune system, supporting bone health & keeping the skin glowing, as well as stabilizing blood sugar & improving brain health!
Often nowadays, our food is not grown the same as it used to be – the soil has been depleted of so many nutrients and minerals because of over-industrialization. So, many of these vitamins and minerals may need to also be supplemented in order to maintain optimal functioning of the body’s processes. However, ideally we still want to be doing our best to get all we can from whole foods of course! So if you’ve heard me talk about my ‘chocolate salad’ before on Instagram, that is another way I get a ton of these vitamins and minerals from WHOLE superfoods that are just freeze dried and ground into a powder! Incredibly nutrient dense + no artificial flavours or colours + tastes like dessert!
And my other favourite way to get in my greens in my green pancakes! You guys have most likely seen them if you follow me on Instagram (if not, go check me out here)! You’ll also know I’m a serious pancake lover!
And thanks to one of my fellow health coach friends who shared it with me a while back! It has become one of my FAVOURITE ways to get in my greens! It’s packed full of spinach, eggs for protein, and oats for fibre and extra carbohydrates! I also like to add cinnamon which is great for metabolism, heart health, a high source of antioxidants, and has many anti-inflammatory properties!
So here’s the recipe!
- 2 eggs
- 1 large handful of spinach
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Add all ingredients to blender.
- Blend & cook like a pancake!
- Serve with natural peanut or almond butter, maple syrup or honey, or sliced bananas and blueberries! OR chocolate chips if you’re a chocoholic like me!